ORGS v Meteors
Saturday 2nd November – Rye Golf Club
Royal St George’s was established in 1887 by Dr Laidlaw Purves of the Royal Wimbledon Golf Club. Originally The Club was intended to serve the needs of London based golfers who were only able to play their golf on often crowded and unkempt courses in the local area.
Named St George’s, it was Dr Purves’ intention to create a links course to rival St Andrew’s in the South of England. Royal status was bestowed on the club by King Edward VII in May 1902.
The tough links course provides a test of golf for even the greatest of golfers and the fact that only four Open winners, Bill Rogers in 1981, Greg Norman in 1993, Ben Curtis in 2003 and Darren Clarke in 2011, have managed to be under par after 72 holes, speaks for itself.